Sunday, September 9, 2007
I Love You, California!
A couple weeks ago I went to the temple with some friends. We walked out after our session and enjoyed one of the most pleasant evenings and beautiful views I have yet experienced at the Oakland Temple. It was a beautiful summer evening - pretty uncharacteristic for the Oakland hills. It was warm, there was very little wind, and it was totally clear. We could see San Francisco, all the way across the bay. As we walked out of the temple and enjoyed the beauty around us, my love for California waxed stronger. I think Amy summed it up the best when she said, "where we live doesn't suck." I wholeheartedly agree! In honor of California being the 31st state admitted to the United States of America, here are 31 reasons, in no particular order, why I love California:
1. The weather is amazing.
2. San Francisco
3. The PCH - aka Highway 1
4. Lots of freeways = not so many stoplights
6. I see lots of nationalities when I look around me.
7. California believes in toilet seat covers in public restrooms.
8. The state animal is the grizzly bear.
9. The state flower is orange - I love California poppies!
10. The beach/ocean is close.
11. The mountains are close.
12. Smoking is not allowed in public buildings.
13. The San Francisco Giants
14. The Los Angeles Dodgers (I actually hate the Dodgers, but I love the rivalry).
16. Earthquakes - they're pretty rockin'!
17. Monterey Bay
18. Joshua Trees
19. Redwood Trees
20. You can drive to different areas of California that feel like completely different states.
21. People are pretty open-minded and accepting of different lifestyles, cultures, and beliefs. They're not haters.
22. You can live where it snows if you want to, but you don't have to.
23. People like to visit here.
24. Apple Computers, Inc.
25. I have a choice of really good ethnic food at any point in time.
27. California borders another country.
29. The cows are happy here.
30. There are three MINI dealerships within an hour of where I live.
31. We recycle