Saturday, January 15, 2011

Christmas in San Francisco

It's an atrocious song, but San Francisco really is a great place to visit during the holidays (yes, I know the holidays are well over, but life has been a little hectic, okay). My sister and her family, visiting from Washington, wanted to spend a day up in San Francisco while they were here. Having worked in the city and being pretty familiar with what it has to offer, I was asked to come up with some ideas of what we could do there. I tend to gravitate toward activities and places that attract less of a crowd, especially during a busy time like Christmas, so here's what we did:

First stop was Baker Beach. It's a nice little beach with a great view of the bridge and is usually not very crowded. Also, it's one of the locations where Mr. Frisby and I took engagement photos.




Next we checked out the Wave Organ in the Marina. Unfortunately the tides were not ideal for the best Wave Organ sounds, but we had fun checking it out anyway. And, it's another good spot for pictures. Though it's a little blurry, I like the one I snuck of my parents walking along.





After that, we checked out the Palace of Fine Arts. It's a busier spot, but is near the Wave Organ, so it was a convenient stop. Unfortunately, it's being renovated, so it can only be checked out from afar. This may have been Scout's favorite stop since she found her arch nemesis, a very saucy bird, which she barked at non-stop.




Next up was a brief stop at Pier 39. Not my favorite stop on any day, but it's especially worse when the crowds are horrid during busy times like Christmas. My family wanted soup in bread bowls. I had a hankering for some tasty pizza. Since the busy crowds were making Scout very nervous, we left the family at Boudin's and headed to Golden Boy in North Beach for the best pizza ever. After we ate, we met up with the fam again at Union Square to check out the lights and do a little bit of shopping. Neither Mr. Frisby nor I were in a mood to document the rest of the day photographically, so we left the camera in the car (along with Scout who was totally pooped and could hardly be roused from her napping) and instead showed my sister how to take good night time shots with her camera. I wasn't in a total shopping mood, but I did find a beautiful pair of shoes on clearance at DSW and a nice little scarf at H&M, so it was definitely a successful stop. And that was our day in San Francisco. Good times as usual.

2 comments:

mommafriz said...

Jenni, I love your blog...it really made me want some of that Golden Boy Pizza, mmmm, it is the best pizza in the world.

Julie Sparks said...

Thank heaven somebody in this family is updating? Scout is getting so big!