Sunday, February 19, 2012

What We've Been Up To

We've been pretty busy around these parts.  And, this is apart from changing diapers, cleaning up spit up, and feeding a baby.  So, here's a little update on what we've been doing.

The bathroom.  There's always the bathroom.  Unfortunately, it's still not done.  But, we are making some serious headway and it's getting very exciting.  Mr. Frisby is taking next Thursday and Friday off work to devote to the bathroom remodel.  So, why is it taking so long?  Here are a couple pictures that will help explain.

This is our bathroom, completely gutted.  This remodel is serious business.  No walls, no ceiling, no floor, no nothing.  Fortunately, as I said, we're getting things done and this is no longer the case.  But, when you strip a room down to practically nothing, it takes time to put it all back together.

This is a picture of the bathroom sub-floor after Mr. Frisby leveled it out.  That was a fairly big setback.  He was ready to start tiling the floor and when he checked to see if it was level, it was not.  One of the floor joists was the culprit.  It was just a little high.  So, he spent an entire Saturday taking out the part of the sub-floor that was over the joist, planing down the joist, and then building a frame to attach to the joists on which the new chunk of sub-floor would sit.  It took a lot of time, but now the floor is level and tiling has commenced.

Scout has also kept us busy recently.  I took her to the groomer.  She came home with a sweet haircut and a problem with her eye.  Poor dog.  I knew something was wrong when we came home from the groomer and she was squinting one of her eyes.  I knew something was really wrong a few hours later when she would no longer open that eye and it was all watery and oozy.  I took her to the vet that afternoon and they said it was a scratched cornea.  Usually heals well, but it's super painful.  Two check-ups and 7 days of antibiotics later, she has a clean bill of health.  But, I learned something in the process.  Trying to put antibiotic ointment in a dog's eye when it's very sensitive is like trying to wrestle an alligator.  It took both Mr. Frisby and I to pin the dog down to get the stuff in and I ended up bruised and scratched.  Thank goodness that's over with.

Here she is fresh from the groomer.  You can tell she just got home because she still has the little neckerchief on that they put on her.  It looks really cute, but she HATES it.

As if Mr. Frisby wasn't busy enough with the bathroom, he also had to build a pinewood derby car.  The scouts did a pinewood derby fundraiser to earn money for a new track.  There were two categories: classic pinewood derby rules and no holds barred.  Mr. Frisby decided to enter a car in the no holds barred category.  His plan of attack was to make the car as light as possible, then attach his remote controlled helicopter to it to pull it down the track.  Here's the car:

Truth be told, I had my doubts.  But, when he tested it out, it actually worked pretty well.  His "helicar" ended up getting third place and a giant Butterfinger.

Little Stella has also been busy, but that is mostly for another post.  For now, we'll just mention that she met her birthday twin.

These little ones were born about an hour apart.  Stella looks way bigger, but it's just the camera angle.  They're actually about the same size.  Thanks for the good times, Double A.

And, finally, we got a new entertainment center.  Or media console.  Whatever they're calling them these days.  It's a huge improvement.  Here's the before of our living room set up:

Bookcase and TV stand from IKEA.  They're not necessarily bad pieces, but they're dark and chunky, so they're not ideal for our space.  But it was what we had.  Now the after.  Here's our new media center from Crate and Barrel:

I'm still working on filling up the shelves and putting everything away, but we like it much, much better.  It opens the space up a lot which is great for us because our living room is pretty small.  This was also a much bigger project than I thought it would be.  The new media center was delivered Friday afternoon.  I started unpacking it and doing some assembly after it came.  Then, when Mr. Frisby got home from work, we both got it all assembled and attached to the wall.  I knew that part would take some time and effort.  But, I didn't realize that unplugging the TV, components, and cables and then reattaching them all in the new media center would take as much time as it did.  Essentially it took us the entire evening.  Totally worth it, in my opinion.

And that's what's been keeping us busy lately.  Hopefully the bathroom will be done very soon so we can have some spare time.  We're starting to forget what that's like.


MomandDad said...

What are you doing blogging in the middle of the night? Cute blog. Glad for the update.

Sharon said...

Wow!! I'm just busy trying to get kids to pass their classes and driving them everywhere. It's a good thing we aren't handy, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.