Monday, April 27, 2009

Got One!

I shot my first squirrel today. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the awesomeness. So, you'll have to settle for my eyewitness account. I looked out the window this morning and saw a squirrel digging around the rose bushes on our front porch, so I ran and got the gun. I flipped off the safety and cocked it so as to be ready to fire as soon as I opened the door. The sound of the door opening startled the squirrel a little and he hopped out of the rose bushes and onto the sidewalk where he stopped to look at me. Mistake number 1. I popped off my first shot and hit him square in the midsection. Impossible to miss as he was only 5 feet away. Now, all of you animal lovers can just relax. The squirrel was absolutely fine, but definitely startled, so he began to scamper away. He wasn't scampering fast enough for my liking however, so I quickly popped off another shot which narrowly missed. He scampered much quicker after that and hopefully he's learned his lesson and won't be coming back. Of course, I've got a bottle of pellets waiting for him if he does.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

LOL.

Sharon said...

That is kind of sad.
Cara (not my mom)

Molly said...

Yes. Keep assuring me that you scared him and didn't actually hurt him, and I'll start rooting for the gun, too. (And yes, you do look freaking awesome posing with it.) Just be careful your neighbors don't see you out in your front yard shooting a gun (clear plastic or not). They might not like that so much! Hahaha.

Matt said...

You're a jerk. I like squirrels. On the other hand, I hate cats more than any other animal, and I have a loaded bb gun with a CO2 cartridge in my cupboard for any who venture onto my property. Unfortunately, they're brazen animals, and a huge number of feral cats still venture onto my property. But they tread lightly and with a wary eye when they pass by the sliding glass door in the kitchen. I hit one in the face once, and I liked it.

Sharon said...

George said our family prayer at dinner tonight: "And please help Jenni to not shoot any more squirrels."

Dalene said...

I have to agree with Matt (not that you're a jerk but about CATS). And totally LOL at George's prayer on behalf of the squirrels.

melissa ( : said...

Get 'em. Get 'em all.