Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An Octopus' Garden

Okay, I'm not an octopus, but I did plant a garden. And now it's starting to grow! I planted some seeds a couple of weeks ago and had started to get a little worried when it had been over a week and there were no shoots coming up out of the ground. But, I'm happy to report that my seeds are sprouting and I have plants! Here's what I'm growing:

California Poppies - my favorite flower!


Strawberries - No seeds for this one, I just bought the plants. But, I'm excited to eat the fruit!


Tomatoes - I just bought the plants for these as well. I hate tomatoes, but Mr. Frisby likes them.


Sugar Snap Peas - These were the first of my veggie seeds to pop up and I was so excited! I now have four little pea plants growing.



Peppers - these sprouted shortly after the peas. I have them in a pot inside the house and will transplant them when they grow a bit.


Cucumbers - I was really excited about the cucumbers, but I had given up on them when there were no sprouts after two weeks. However, just yesterday I saw a little seedling, just pushing through the dirt. If you look carefully, you can see it right in the middle of the picture.



Unfortunately I have run into a couple of problems with my garden:




These little beasts seem bound and determined to ruin my gardening ambitions! The snails are easy to take care of - snail bait. They have eaten several of my flowers and make a big mess, but the garden is now just littered with rotting snail carcasses. The squirrels, on the other hand, are impossible! I have tried many things to keep them away. At first we got Bruce:


Bruce worked for the first afternoon, but the squirrels soon realized that he is not a real owl and, therefore, not a threat. They were soon back in the yard digging up my flowers and seeds. I'm now using a squirrel repellent spray, but it's effectiveness seems to depend on the squirrel's determination to ruin my life. If they're really determined, the spray won't stop them. And it only seems to last for a few days anyway. Does anybody have any idea how I can keep these furry beasts out of my garden (and, no, I can't just shoot them - I already checked and that would require me getting a hunting license)?

12 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

Hillarious!!! WEll you know David Cutler's solution to the squirrel problem. An Air-Soft Gun. No hunting license required. But really I don't think they repel the squirrels very well. Looks like it might be time to get a dog!

Kim said...

My uncle traps his and releases them at a park. You just have to get a small animal trap (that doesn't kill them)

a.b.c said...

what about rat poison? You could put it around the garden and maybe it would kill the squirrels or at least make them really sick.

Ashlee said...

Annie get a gun! After you shoot 'em Mr. Frisby can stretch & tack their hides out on the wall, & maybe make a coat out of them, or some boots, or eat 'em like on Shrek. I believe Mr. Frisby has some experience in that area. I know Mr. Frisby would like to inform me that he has only eaten chipmunk, & then to add to the ewww-ick factor he made a necklace out of the teeth/jawbone… Gross…not sure any of this is true, but it really does make a nasty story. Sharon what do you say...you know you want her to get the gun...say it!

Ashlee said...

P. S. that gun comment was not sweet Ash it was her mean mommma, that's right Jenni has that kind of mother-in law...working hard to be funny

a.b.c said...

oh, another idea is a bb gun. They do not require a license but the squirrels will still hate them!

Tammy said...

I haven't had so much trouble with squirrels yet, although we have a lot, but I have a lot of trouble with stupid neighbor cats that think my garden is their litter box. The most effective thing I found (besides a dog) is a thing called a scarecrow (not the kind you make for Halloween). You hook it up to a hose and it has a motion sensor and sprays a shot of water if movement is detected. I don't know if squirrels are big enough but the wind has set mine off before. Problem-they are expensive. How much do you want homegrown veggies?

Hilary said...

You could get a cat. There may be cat poop though...hmm fertilizer. If you get a dog and he's like mine, then he'll just eat all the veggies.

I couldn't shoot 'em myself but I guess you could always miss and just scare them.

Creepy picture of the squirrel by the way. But I'm way jealous of all the other ones!

Molly said...

Sad! The only thing I can think of is cages around the plants. Seems a little silly and expensive, but that's all I can think of. Poison can affect the hawks that eat the squirrels and that's no good. Trapping them is definitely an option. But then you have to take them somewhere and there will be a million more waiting to eat your veggies (and what if it's someone's mother and now all her babies are all alone????). Ha! I have a very soft heart.

Colter said...

http://www.break.com/index/squirrel_catapult.html

Sharon said...

Get a dog. Mom would love coming home to that.

Andrea said...

I'm glad you posted this because I planted some peas awhile ago and checked tonight to see if they'd made an appearance yet. There was some stuff growing, but I had no idea if it was peas or weeds. I think I have a few peas based on your pea shot. Thanks!