Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A New Acquisition

I acquired something new this weekend. New being relative, of course:





It's my mom's old sewing machine. It's older than me. It was the top of the line when it was new back in 1974 or 75. As you can see, it's got a little wear and tear. But, my mom tells me that it's still a great machine and makes a beautiful stitch. I'm not a good enough seamstress to know a beautiful stitch from a crappy one, so I'll take her word for it. Still, I'm excited to have a sewing machine. Not that I have any ambitious plans for it. I mean, all the fancy stitches that my mom carefully showed me how to do on the machine will probably never materialize. But, the fact that I have a machine means that I won't have to go to my mom's to use her machine every time I need to hem some pants (because, as I mentioned on my blog before, it's impossible to find pants the right length for an AVERAGE height person!) or work on a project I came up with because I didn't like what I saw in a store or I didn't like the price I saw in a store.

I don't plan to go sewing crazy all of a sudden, but a sewing machine is a handy thing to have, so I think this was a good acquisition.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I rarely use my machine, but I do think it's a good thing to have. I'm working on matching aprons for me and Zoie. I'm afraid of messing them up, and having gotten past pinning the pattern to the material. ;)

LJ, DC and ML said...

Yay! Congrats! And you can't fool me. I know you've got a fancy stitch or two up your sleeve. Can't wait to see your first project!

Sharon said...

That is so sweet. I actually used Julie's (borrowing) to sew on George's badge the other night. He insisted on not going to scouts until it was on. The machine was set up so I sewed. Plus, I used the zigzag stitch (Mom showed me when she was here)to mend a tear in my ski pants. I know, I know, awesome.